Sunday, September 26, 2010

One for me, one for you and one for Hemingway...

    A few weeks ago a few friends and I took a trek out to visit an old friend. I never knew the man, we had never sat and had a conversation over a cup of coffee, we'd never even shared a secret between us, he'd never recognize me, if he were alive today, supposing he bumped into me on the street. The fact is he isn't a friend of mine nor am I a friend of his, in the traditional sense of the word, but through reading his works I feel a closeness to who this man was. 
    Standing at Hemingway's grave, his last wife laid to rest beside him beneath a few trees, I couldn't help but notice the many pennies strewn across his grave. I wondered their significance. I though that possibly it could be each visitors two cents, but I feel that it had a deeper meaning, something that people got that I just didn't. non the less I reached into my pocket and pulled out three coins. I passed one two my buddy, put one back into my pocket and the other I placed on the mans grave with hope that no offense was given for not knowing why.
    If you are ever in Idaho, I highly suggest taking a trip out to visit an old friend, or a new friend if your just now being introduced to his works. Either way its worth the trip! And on your way out ask a local where Lefty's bar and grill is. The burgers are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment