Tuesday, September 28, 2010

As A Man Thinketh...

    A few years ago, while on a service mission in Brasil, I was having a conversation with a friend of mine. He was a well read individual and had had much success as a businessman. So much success that he was offered a position as a professor at a prestigious university, of which I am reluctant to mention, on the east coast educating students in business and economics.
    Our conversation was on the topic of books. I inquired as to whether he had read any good books lately( basically shooting the shiz) to which he responded, "As A Man Thinketh" by James Allen is the best piece of literature written in the last 100 years". I trust this man more than I trust most people.  So I read it. 
    Being that I was living in Brasil, I had a bit if a search to find it. After a few days I came across a small bookstore on the other side of town and and to my surprise there on the shelf was a copy. I was way over priced! In frustration I gave up my search. 
    A week or two went by and I ran into an old friend of mine. After a cordial greeting I noticed that my buddy had some pages in his hand. I inquired as to what it was. He informed me that he was reading a book that he had downloaded off of the internet. I was somewhat thrown off! The reason for my disbelief was that he had very few pages. What he had done was lower the font as small as he could and still read it. He took a text that was normally at jut slightly over 100 pages and brought it down to 3 pages.  He asked me to watch his tings while he went in to a meeting and I responded that I would. As he entered his meeting, unaware as to how much time it would take, I quickly searched for anything that would magnify the text so that I might read it. I found a shot glass.  Over the next two hours, with some difficulty, I was able to read the entire text. 

    James Allen was born in Leicester, England November 28, 1964. Hailed to be his greatest work, As As Man Thinketh, is one mans view on the power of though in the lives of man. Scripturaly based, Allen bases the entire book off of the premise that "As a man thinketh, so is he..." teaching us how to use thought to create or destroy ourselves and our world as we know it. I can honestly say that if I read this book every day for the rest of my life I would learn something new about the power of though daily. I highly suggest not just reading it, but buying a copy and applying it's principals to your life. No matter what your belief system is As a man thinketh will change the way you think about life!

No comments:

Post a Comment